During March I made a ‘collage’ a day. This was partly a set task but it became an opportunity to look at a number of possibilities, these developed over time as the project continued:
- The collages would continue the themes already explored. A collage would be started each day but not completed. They would be a book with the thought that they could be torn out if they became of interest.
- The collages would be quickly made and would not be too precious.
- Cyanotype would continue to be the theme – could it be combined with mixed media?
- Materials would be varied but basic everyday papers would predominate – also plastics and transparencies.
- Glue would be PVA – it wrinkles and distorts paper – this would be part of it. It is also a glue with minimal or next to minimal impacts in terms of fumes or unfortunates side effects. Glue would be a material added as a collage element, possibly drawn with or layered. PVA is water soluble and therefore interacts with other water soluble materials – attacking the colours in inkjet prints.
- Text and diagrams could be experimented with
- There would be references to the photographic process – each collage would have some part that was made by photographic process
- There could be references to the science of pollution and its dispersal.
- The idea of chemical and colour staining would be part of some collages.
31 images plus 3 extras – a selection of the work in progress below, I will scan some on completion, which must happen by this weekend.